Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Birthday Cake "Almost" Disaster ~ September 30, 2011

     Today was Brandy's birthday. To celebrate she got to choose what we were eating for every meal. For breakfast she wanted cereal, lunch she wanted hamburger gravy and potatoes (its really good), and supper was pizza and cake.
     Brandy wanted me to help make her cake. So after lunch all the children went down for naps except for Niki and Brandy. We went into the kitchen and got to work. Niki started on the icing while Brandy and I stared on the cake. After mixing everything together  the batter looked like chocolate milk...not cake. It was so runny I did not think it would ever bake up. I thought for sure I had flopped the cake. Cindy came out and looked at it, and said we may as well try baking it and see what happened. We poured it into two round pans and there was still some left, so it went into a stone dish. we now had three round cakes. I was fairly certain I had make a huge mistake with the silly thing. However, praise the Lord, it came out fine and tasted amazing. It was super moist and yummy.




Niki did a great job decorating the cake! 


Pile of Gifts

     After supper Brandy opened her gifts. While she was opening them I was struck with my selfish and greedy attitude. Birthdays around here are super special and the day is all about the person who is turning a year older...its not about the gifts. As Brandy opened her gifts she started pulling out cans of beef broth, grape juice, and potatoes. Its a family tradition to give the birthday person cans of preserved items. Brandy was so excited about each and every gift she received. There was a point of much laughter and blushing when she pulled out a pair of her mama's undies :).Another thing that stood out to me was the special gifts the children were giving. Almost all of the kiddos gave Brandy one of their most precious treasures. Aspen gave her a sticker book, and Lacy some special "pretty" rocks. I love how Brandy loved each gift, even if it was not new and shinny. I pray that God contiues to work in my life and teach me how giving is better than reciving! Its not about the new things and stuff, its about the thought and the person who is willing to give up something special  for someone else.
 

2 comments:

lisa said...

<3 Good job on the cake! I was holding my breath there for a minute! :}

Baker Family said...

What fun memories! Hey, I tried posting on the apple post... I would love the recipe for chunky sauce if she is willing to share!