Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fabric Fun




Niki and I waiting to leave
     On Thursday we went shopping with a lady named Joyce. She is a mentor at IGo. On the way to the market we stopped at a sore called Yok. Its a backing store, and where most of the people around get things like flour and sugar.
This is how the Shortening and Margarine come

It was so fun to experience a market again. I had forgotten how much I love the smells, sounds, and feel of a market. There is not explaining how amazing it is…it must simply be lived. 



I'm not sure what these things are called. They are really neat looking though! The person selling them was cutting them up and the smell was coming across the street to me. It was not the yummiest smelling thing I have ever had the pleasure of smelling.


The presentation of things is amazing here. They seem to really want it to look nice! 



Motor bikes are the main mode of transportation here in Chaing Mia. I have fallen in love with driving one around. Perhaps I will get one when I get home to drive down to Dayton lol. You can't hardly tell in in these photos but the bikes are parked two deep. How they get their bike out when ready to leave I really don't know....



So much fabric...


...to choose from


They have some really neat cloths to sell. A few things made me thing of Nat...Christmas gift?!?!

For lunch we bought some food from a street vender. It was grilled chicken and very yummy.


Our cook



Someone must like Chicken heads...I have never tried one



Fresh squeezed orange juice

 As we were walking through the main market, I saw the nastiest thing EVER. In a large tub of water were slimy, slithering, smelly, ugly, LIVE, Eels!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say it freeked me out and I hid behind dear, brave, amazing, Cindy. She totally protected me from the nastiness. Then darling, dear, courageous, Niki Jade took some GREAT photos so I will always remember what they looked like! 


     I bought around six pieces of fabric. Two of the pieces I bought were only .75 a meter. Mom and Nat you are going to try stealing some of them from me, so I decided to go ahead and get them made up while I’m here! J After we got done shopping Joyce took us to the seamstress. When we were there I saw a dress I really liked so I asked her if she could make one for me like it. She took my measurements so it will be fun to see how it turns out. I hope I don’t hate it! 





                                       On the way home Niki and decided to pretend to sleep.

2 comments:

JR said...

Your blog is interesting, has left a great impression.
Best wishes
Jonas

cody.nat said...

$.75 a meter? At that price I think you can bring a BUNCH home! ;)Would love to fabric shop there. Is there any knit or is it all cotton? Can't wait to see your dress. NASTY eels. ick. We missed you yesterday!!