Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Institute for Global Opportunities

     This post is informational as well as a request for prayer. When we were getting ready to leave for Thailand I found out about a school called IGo. It is located here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Before I give too much information about it I should probably back up…
     Around eight years old I knew when I grew up I wanted to serve God. At this point I had not really realized my need for Jesus nor asked Him to dwell in my life. In fact, that did not happen until I was 11.5. What started me on this journey, I don’t know. Nevertheless, I do know is God has placed a call on my life. All of us have a calling. Our callings are all different, but we all have one. Maybe its to stay home and be a mom and wife, or maybe its campus ministry, or it may be providing for your family by working hard everyday, going to school, telling others about Jesus, or being an obedient son or daughter...really could be anything. First Corinthians 15:58 says, “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain”. ESV From this is can be concluded that what every you are doing as long as its for the Lord, and they are in the Lord, it is not in vain.
     I feel like my calling is to serve God by telling others about their need for God’s son Jesus. God has filled me with a passion for people who are hurting and down. This passion tends to lead me to the poorest of the poor; whether its monetarily, emotionally or spiritually. The prayer of my life has been Isaiah 6:8. “And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ ‘Then I said Here am I! Send me’. When I read Isaiah 61:1-3 it seems like its talking directly to me. (The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion-to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they many be called oaks righteousness, the planting of the Lord that he may be glorified.) These verses are also found in the New Testament Luke 4:18. Also verse fifteen in Mark 16, And He said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” Similarly, verse nineteen in Matthew 28 says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
      As Christ Followers we are called to BOLDLY PROCLAIM His word!! All through Acts it talks about having boldness for Christ. Not backing down about the truth even to the point of prison, persecution, and ultimately death. Philippians 1:20-21 “as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that will full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” As a Christ Follower this is made personal to me and my walk with Jesus. I want to be willing to give up everything for Him!
     It seems like this passion has led me to the medical field. I so enjoy learning and especially anything medical. Because of this I have felt that nursing school would be a great opportunity to serve God. My thought has been that when I get done with school I would go and serve in a poor country somewhere. Every one needs medical care at some point in their life. It seems like an amazing opening onto the mission field. January of this year I started the journey through nursing school. In fact, I am almost done with all my classes except for the nursing program itself. 
     Now comes that part about IGo, and the request for prayer. IGo stands for Institute for Global Opportunities. It is a school that’s purpose is to provide young people with a environment outside of their comfort zone, to do mission work in parts of the world where the Gospel has not yet be preached, a place learn more about what the Bible says, and to have personal discipleship. Typically the students attend classes for three weeks and then go on a ministry trip for 10-14 days. This is the schedule for each four month term. In one semester the student is able to go on three ministry trips. The school is set up for students to attend 8 months out of the year. However, some students choose only to attend for one 4 month term. If a student would want to go back for a second year they attend classes for part of the year, and then they are set up in an internship program.
     It sounds like a wonderful place to learn more about Christ, grow deeper in my relationship with Jesus, and live out the calling on my life. This is where my prayer request comes in. It would be so easy for me to fill out the application and attend this coming April. Everything I love is included in this school except for the medical part. If I attend I would be putting nursing school on the back burning indefinitely. Not only would nursing school be on hold but I would miss out on a huge portion of my families lives. My niece, and nephew, and bebe would not know their Aunt Bree. Thinking about them not knowing me is enough to break my heart. I want to have a relationship with the kiddos in my life! Nevertheless, I am feeling like God is calling me in this direction. Please pray that God will make His will extremely clear to me and my family. That we would know clearly what He wants in my life. Nursing school has always been a desire, but to follow the will of Christ is WAY more important to me! For more information please check out the video and information on http://www.igo-asia.com/. If you feel like God is giving you a word to speak into my life please let me know. I really do want to live for Jesus and I want to do His will not mine. 

5 comments:

lisa said...

LOVE you! You know we are holding you in prayer and begging God to give you clear direction!

PS...change your font color...it's hard to read! I had to highlight it to see it!

lisa said...

Never mind about the color...guess my computer was just taking it's time loading the color!
(It isn't a mac, you know!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh Bree! Hard decisions. Praying that God will give you answers. Love your updates! Looks to me like you are loving that SUNSHINE! :):) We miss you. You do realize you have 2 homes now, right? Or more. Z-mama Sherri

Bree said...

Thanks for praying z-mama!!! I so love that I have a home in Zillah!!! Your family means so much to me! I have missed you muchly!!! I am LOVING the sunshine!! Trying to spend as much time in it as I can! :)

cody.nat said...

You know I'm praying... <3 love you..